Tuesday, February 26, 2013

DIY: Framed Geodes


What you'll need:
-flat geodes (actually got these at the science museum in Dallas $1.99 each)
-Epoxy - this E-6000 epoxy is amazing! best glue I've ever used and works on basically anything (Found at Target or Hobby Lobby)
-Thick poster board (not the foam kind, I think this one is 3/16" thick)
-Shadow box(es)
-Scissors or exacto knife (exacto knife works way better on this thick poster board and you'll have straighter edges)
-pencil



Step 1: Trace the board from the shadow box on thick poster board with pencil and then cut out with exacto knife.
Step 2: Decide where you want to place your geodes, put epoxy on the back side, and place onto poster board.
Step 3:  DON'T hang immediately.  Lay on flat surface for a few hours until epoxy is completely dry.  I actually let mine dry over night just to be safe.

Almost forgot to throw this picture in there...
Yep. Got busted sitting on the floor in the Perot museum gift shop trying to pick out which geodes I wanted.  Kids in there get serious. I had to claim my spot in front of the treasure bins!

0 comments:

Post a Comment